Account earnings are free from federal and NC income taxes when used for qualified higher education expenses.
Our fees are very low and allow you to keep your money in North Carolina.
Select from a variety of investment options that cover a range of strategies, from conservative
Create an NC 529 Account in minutes. You can set up automatic contributions or contribute
when it fits your budget.
Benefit of saving regularly
Putting away whatever amount you can on a regular basis adds up.
Use simple calculator for a quick look at how money grows over time
and test other scenarios with savings planner.
Try it Now!
See our contact information and frequently asked questions for answers.
Contact NC 529
Good thing you have an NC 529 Account
Click these Withdrawal Q&A links for help:
First, congratulations on having put money aside for this very reason. Second, use these tips to help with your Withdrawal request.
How to Request?
Where is the Money Sent?
As the Account owner, you can request to receive your Withdrawal as a check or to have the Withdrawal amount credited to your confirmed account in your financial institution. Or you may choose to request that a check in the amount of the Withdrawal be sent to the Beneficiary of your NC 529 Account or to the Beneficiary's school. If you choose to have funds credited to your account at a financial institution, the following criteria must be met:
- At least one successful ACH or EFT Contribution from your financial institution's account to your NC 529 Account has been made;
- Your most recent Contribution has been made no less than 10 business days prior to your Withdrawal request; and
- No information on your confirmed financial institution's account (such as change of address) has been changed in the 10 business days prior to your Withdrawal request.
Is There a Min or Max Withdrawal?
Request for Withdrawal must be at least $250, unless the amount in your NC 529 Account is less than $250 and the Withdrawal will bring the Account to zero, which will close the Account. The maximum is the amount confirmed and available in the Account.
When is the Money Available?
Funds availability depends on your NC 529 Account balance and the Withdrawal amount requested. If contributions to your Account have
cleared and your balance covers your request, Withdrawal proceeds should be available within 5 business days from the date requested.
However, if a Contribution has recently been made and not yet cleared, depending on the date, amount and method made, it may take longer
for your Withdrawal to be available. When recent Contributions are made by check, funds are typically available after the 10th business
day after being invested. Recent Contributions made by ACH or EFT are usually available after the 5th business day after investment.
It is possible to request overnight delivery for a fee; however, the delivery is not actually overnight. Though delivery is expedited,
the process is not actually next day. The delivery's timeline is below. Please note deliveries are only on business days, not weekends.
- Business Day 1: The Withdrawal request must be received in good order and processed by the NC 529 Plan by 4:00 pm.
- Business Day 2: A check will be printed and picked up from College Foundation, Inc. for Standard Fed Ex delivery.
- Business Day 3: Fed Ex will deliver the check to you, but no particular time of day is guaranteed.
What's Qualified and What's Not?
- payment of tuition, fees, and cost of books, supplies and equipment;
- certain costs for room and board for a Beneficiary attending an Eligible Institution (a higher education institution eligible
to participate in financial aid programs of the U.S. Department of Education) at least half-time; and,
- in case of a special needs Beneficiary, for the expenses related to special needs services while enrolled in an Eligible
If not requested for one of these reasons, the Withdrawal is Non-Qualified and the earnings portion of the amount Withdrawn may be
subject to federal and state income tax and an additional federal income tax of 10%.