Transfer Agreements

There are several types of transfer agreements that are helpful to know about when planning your transfer to one of the UNC System institutions:

1)  Bilateral agreements - these are unique contracts between two colleges, often because they are close to one another and have closely related programs.  For example, Craven Community College has a bilateral agreement with East Carolina University to help graduates of their Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Health Information Technology transfer and earn a BS Health Information Management.  The best way to learn about bilateral agreements is to visit the college website or talk to an academic advisor.

2)  Uniform agreements - these involve a number of colleges and typically focus on two programs that are closely related.  For example, the NC Community College System and the UNC System have uniform articulation agreements in programs such as teacher preparation, RN to BSN, and fine arts.  Visit the college website or talk to an academic advisor to learn about options at institutions you're considering.

3)  Military agreements - the UNC System has developed a Military Equivalency System (MES) to optimize the transfer of academic credit based on relevant military training and experience. 

4)  Comprehensive Articulation Agreement - this is North Carolina's statewide articulation agreement which governs the transfer of credits between North Carolina community colleges and UNC institutions.  It covers transfer students who successfully complete the Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), or Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) degree and who seek admission to a University of North Carolina institution. Students are guaranteed the following:

  • Granted "junior" academic status

  • Granted 60-61 semester-hours of credit transferred

  • Fulfillment of the UNC Minimum Course Requirements (MCR's) in effect at the time of high school graduation

  • Completion of the lower division general education requirements. However, students must meet the receiving university's foreign language and/or health and physical education requirements, if applicable, prior to or after transfer to the senior institution

  • Admission to a UNC institution per the  Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (TAAP)*
  • Fulfillment of the UNC Minimum Course Requirements (MCR's) in effect at the time of high school graduation
  • Granted academic credit for  ALL courses completed with a grade of "C" or better per the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement Transfer Courses List

Note: In order to be eligible for the transfer guarantees, the student must graduate from the community college with an Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree; and have an overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and a grade of "C" or better in all CAA courses. Please refer to the  Comprehensive Articulation Agreement policy manual for specific requirements.

Independent colleges and universities that are not part of the ICAA also accept transfer students and generally have individual agreements with area community colleges.

*Please refer to the Transfer Assured Admissions Policy for additional information and to register.