Transferring to NC Independent Colleges and Universities


NC Independent Colleges and Universities

As you plan for a transfer to one of North Carolina's independent colleges and universities, there are three main types of transfer agreements you'll find helpful:

  1. Bilateral agreements - these are unique contracts between two colleges, often because they are close to one another and have closely related programs.  For example, Wake Technical Community College has a bilateral agreement with William Peace University to help graduates of their Associate of Applied Science in Business Analytics transfer and earn a Bachelor of Science in Business Analytics.  The best way to learn about bilateral agreements is to visit the college website or talk to an academic advisor.
  2. Discipline-specific agreements - these involve a number of colleges and typically focus on two programs that are closely related.  For example, the NC Community College System and many NCICU institutions have discipline-specific articulation agreements in programs such as teacher education, RN to BSN, and music.  Visit the NCICU website, your college website, or talk to an academic advisor to learn about options at institutions you're considering.
  3. Independent Articulation Agreement - this is a broadest of the transfer agreements to help students make a successful transfer between NC community colleges and participating independent colleges and universities.  You'll find the most recent version on the NCICU website.