Week 2 - Financial Aid 101, FAFSA and RDS
10/11/21 - 10/15/21
Things to Accomplish This Week:
- Decide which schools you will apply to during College Application Week (10/18-10/22). Many NC colleges and universities waive their fees during these weeks. See who.
- Speak with counselors concerning fee waiver forms if applicable (ACT, College Board Fee Waiver) to use for schools that are not waiving fees during College Application Weeks.
- Some applications require an essay or personal statement. Review application requirements for the schools you plan to apply to and prepare these in advance.
- File your Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) after October 1st in order to begin the financial aid process for college. This one form allows you to apply for federal and state grants (free money for college), federal work-study, and federal student loans. Many colleges also require the FAFSA as part of the application process for institutional scholarships. Review necessary documentation before getting started.
- Complete the Residency Determination Service (RDS). This is important for both in-state tuition and financial aid, as the RDS application allows students to apply for in-state Residency, as well as North Carolina state grants. Review necessary documentation before getting started.
Live Virtual Events:
Financial Aid 101
See how financial aid works – from the FAFSA to your first day on campus! With this overview, you’ll know what to expect each step of the way. You’ll know what to do if your household situation changed during 2020 or afterwards, and how to read the award letter from your institution. Financial aid administrators will be on hand for live chat and resources will be offered specific to your questions.
- Tuesday, 10/12/21 from 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM - REGISTER
- Wednesday, 10/13/21 from 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM - REGISTER
FAFSA & RDS
Do you need assistance with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and North Carolina’s Residency Determination Service (RDS)? FAFSA & RDS go together like macaroni and cheese! Find out what you need to complete both. This session offers basic information and handouts. Financial aid administrators will be on hand for live chat and resources will be offered specific to your questions. We’ll also have a Spanish Services Representative to answer questions in Spanish at both sessions.
- Thursday, 10/14/21 from 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM - REGISTER
- Friday, 10/15/21 from 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM - REGISTER
How-to Create a CFNC Account:
How-to Complete RDS:
How-to Complete a CFNC College Application:
Helpful Resources To Check Out This Week:
- College Application Checklist
- Apply to College
- College Application FAQs
- Practice Application
- Information needed for FAFSA and RDS
- 10 things to know before you start RDS
- Admissions Essay Tips
- ACT & SAT Preparation
- FAFSA-RDS Timeline (English)
Helpful Spanish Resources:
- FAFSA-RDS Timeline (Spanish)
- Comparación de RDS y FAFSA
- Guía de RDS
- El Proceso de la FAFSA
- Estado de dependencia de FAFSA
- Planilla de preparación del FAFSA en línea
- Consejos para Completar FAFSA para Estudiantes con Padres Sin Número de Seguro Social
- Navegando FAFSA & RDS para prepararse para la universidad
- Conceptos básicos de RDS para estudiantes de preparatoria/high school
- RDS para estudiantes con padres indocumentados
- Reconsideración y apelaciones de RDS